Ideas and Opinions

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

BACK TO THE PAST I

I remember the first time I started watching movies was with my father. He used to take me to all those old Black and white movies of MGR and Sivaji. I used to like the movies which had lots of action, especially the one with Sword fights. So I kind of liked those MGR, Sivaji movies which were based on ancient historic subjects. The best ones were Nadodi mannan, Mannathi mannan, Alibabavum narpathu thirudargalum, Malai kallan, Uthama puthiran. I usually watch them very interestingly during the first half hour when you can expect some fast paced story, action and after a while when all the romances and songs start I fall asleep. Intervals are the best part when I get to have Popcorn and Icecream (If I am awake!) and back again for some sleep…action…sleep until finally it is the last 30 minutes of the movie. The climaxes are usually lengthy but that's when you get to see hell lot of action. I used to be fascinated when MGR escapes from Jail by bending the Jail Kambi and when he easily kills enemies in sword fight. The stunts are usually amazing, MGR runs around the palace during sword fight. He climbs the table, swings from the chandelier and jumps from the stairs. During this time I guess I was in primary school (I std or II std) so I didn't care much about the story – the only thing I knew was MGR was the good guy and all other Guys – Nambiar, Veerapa were villains. MGR's aim – Help poor people, Kill Bad Guys, romance a girl. Moral: Sword fight movies are interesting and don't fall asleep during interval.

As years passed, my interest in movies changed. Rajinikanth was becoming popular in those days and I was totally amazed by the movie – Murattu Kalai. Even now, when I hear the song "Pothuvaga em manasu thangam…" I get goose bumps. I used to like it so much that me and my cousin sometime sneak and go to the theatre to watch it. I guess we were in 3rd std and the ticket price was usually 90 Paise or less. I don't remember how many times we did this, but my Mother used to say that we used to go to that movie a lot and she usually had to send our uncles for a search and rescue mission. Payum puli was another amazing movie, that was the time I was introduced to Bruce lee movies and when I saw a similar styled movie in Tamil it was simply superb. I don't remember all the Bruce lee movie names but liked them all. My favorite was of course Enter the Dragon. I still remember when I was in 3rd std I guess and it was the final day of the Exams. We all completed our exams a little early and our class teacher asked us to perform something impromptu in front of the class. Some told stories, songs, Aruvai jokes but I told my teacher I liked Bruce lee and I wanted to show some stunts. I did not know where that came from, but that was the only thing which came to my mind because I was not a singer, didn't remember a story off hand and not good at jokes (remembering jokes). The Teacher asked me to come and stand in front of the class and show my stunts. I just stood up on the desk (not the chair) made a shrieking noise and was punching and kicking air – uuh aahh uhhh ahhh ! and after a few seconds I just shouted at my highest pitch, made the angriest face in the world, jumped from the desk with my legs stretched (exactly like Enter the dragon Climax fight) and landed on the pavement in front of the Teacher's desk. Applause everywhere! I still can't believe I actually did that, and I don't think I even told my parents then.

The summer holidays of the same year, I got interested in a new hobby, a chance to learn something.

To be continued ...

4 Comments:

  • nyabagam varuthey...nyabagam varuthey..

    mudhal mudhal partha MGR padam...

    even i used to be fascinated with those movies..."naan anai ittal"..stil gives me the goose bumps..
    waiting for the next part...

    By Blogger The Constant Variable, at 9:56 PM  

  • lol @ ur stunts in the skool...

    i used to love those cc.i.d kinda movies with jaishankar... CID SHankar types...

    By Blogger NaiKutti, at 8:03 PM  

  • good one.waiting for next part !

    By Blogger crsathish, at 9:22 AM  

  • Man I am a die hard fan of Bruce Lee. I have watched all his five movies atleast 20 times. FYI they are Enter the dragon, Fist of fury(chinese connection), Way of the dragon(awesome chuck norris fight), Big boss (not so good) and Game of death (the story and the real life of Brandon lee share a lot in common). I also like jackie for his hilarious stunts.

    By Blogger Dinesh, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home