Ideas and Opinions

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Mega Serials Parade

When I was in College, I used to fight with my Mom during my holidays over the control of the TV. This happens every night at 9PM, when usually star movies or HBO show the first run of the movies. I usually want to watch that movie, while my MOM wants to watch the infamous (among the likes of me) mega serials. It is usually a tug of war over the remote, and my Mom ends up winning the game. Sun TV rules in this game, they start this at 9PM and doesn't end till 11 PM (and now it seems it goes as much as 12 PM). Usually the primetime programmes (6 to 9PM) are supposed to be good and popular, but these days it seems the buzz starts at 9PM, when the kids go to bed and Moms have finished their household activities. What is the value add in watching these? same as any ordinary movie or popular English sitcoms - Entertainment, except that Mega serials are supposed to be emotional and sensational and they go on forever. The titles are usually a relationship figure in a family and the whole story (yes all the thousand episodes) revolves around this character. Simple titles - Kanavan, Manaivi, chithi, kulavilakku, kuthuvilakku, onnu vitta thatha, rendu vitta patti.

Theme: "I am this character as the title of the movie, and I usually am the centre of the story, every other character sucks and they plan to dismantle my popularity. There is hardly any character with good will and they are picturised as the pathetic and helpless creatures. The spot light goes to me and the villians around. Of course, the title song belongs to me and it runs for a ridiculous 5 minutes everyday between 5 minutes of commercial before and after. There is a camera trick that you should like, I stand in the centre and the camera would go around me with the wind blowing at hurricane katrina speed, playing a dramatic music. This footage alone will occur for 30 seconds every minute in the 5 minute title song that will be aired daily ".

Alright, so why am I rambling about this so much ? I am not going to try and justify that this is bad or good. It just happened. They saw the demand and they do the business and the housewives (and some exceptional husbands) are intrigued by watching it, as the story usually is more like their own lives. I have no problem in them watching that and even being addicted to watching that. My only pledge to those who watch is, Don't live by what you watch. It is just an entertainment thing and one shouldn't try to relate or adopt what they see. I have seen people behave/think dramatically just the way it happens in those serials. The worse thing is the toddlers and kids seem to be enjoying the song and the ads between the serials. They are so glued to a "Sakthi Masala" ad that they refuse to eat food if they are not allowed to watch it. So I am going to cut this post short by saying the one line:
"Watch it, but don't live by it and most of all, keep your little kids away from it."

4 Comments:

  • dinesh, serials start here by 5 or 5:30 PM itself with the popular ones starting around 7 PM... the emotional content and the sensitivity just keeps people glued to it and as u rightly said, watch it, just for the fun of it and don't live by it!

    By Blogger NaiKutti, at 7:19 PM  

  • Naikutti ... 7PM is outrageous! So there it goes ... Every Tamilian is shaping by what he sees in these serials.

    By Blogger Dinesh babu, at 7:26 PM  

  • "u ditch her. she ditched him. we ditch them. they ditch us". ennapaa, english grammer class noo nainacheetayaa. ellam namma tv serial punch lines thaaan.

    By Blogger crsathish, at 8:42 AM  

  • Tamil Thaye! Urgenta oru Bharathiyaaro illa oru Periyaro venum. illa, 100 venum. Population + inflation !

    By Blogger Dinesh babu, at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home