Ideas and Opinions

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Apple's iPod HiFi and the new Mac Mini: Not very interesting

iPod HiFi. Apple calls this as Home stereo reinvented. It is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to expensive high end systems that cost around $1000. This one costs $349. Verdict: Put another $100 and you can get a rocking 6.1 Home theather system from Yamaha, and then with a $6 cable you can connect your iPod to your home theater receiver. iPod HiFi is simply not appealing (to me). I am not an Audiophile (as I lack the technical knowledge), but given a choice and $350 in hand, I will spend it on a home theater than a single speaker.

Intel Mac Mini - Overall looks good with a faster processor and integrated Wireless and Bluetooth with digital audio output. It also has front row software and the remote control, so $599 price point is understandable but they should have shot for providing a $499 Mac Mini. The dual core (higher end) version costs $799, which seems to be alienating the "mini" concept of Mac from a price perspective. Both models pose an intel integrated graphics, which is not exciting at all. Of course, the older Mac Mini's had ATI Radeon 9200 that were slower but integrated Graphics share your system RAM and it usually sucks. With this price point on the Mac Mini, they should atleast try providing the Keyboard and the Mighty Mouse with it.

After looking at the Mac Mini, I think the 17 inch iMac I bought a couple of weeks back is an excellent bet. I have been playing with my iMac for the past 2 weeks and it has been simply amazing. The sheer speed of the machine is just fantastic. The iMac showed me what it is like to process Multimedia. I was editing a movie, had a music creation tool (Garage band) working on mixing and creating a quicktime movie and also had MPEG stream clip converting my old MPGs to (10 Gigs) DV files and what did my iMac say? ................Silence............. There was not a bit of the fan noise, it simply worked crunching the data. I will post a proper review this weekend, but be assured that iMac is the best computer you can get for all your "Digital home lifestyle" use.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, the new imac, gotta get one of those. They 're really fast, aren't they -)

    By Anonymous Rishabh, at 4:26 PM  

  • Congrats for getting a new iMac. Waiting for your review..

    By Anonymous Sathish N, at 11:37 PM  

  • Techies talk.. Let me keep away. BTW i missed ur post on serials..Hehehe tht was well written and hilarious... I was rolling out in laughter reading tht ;)

    Have a nice day,
    Ponnarasi

    By Blogger Ponnarasi Kothandaraman, at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home